Petroșani is in the Jiu Valley, which is the entrance to the Retezat National Park and provides access to the Vâlcan, Parâng and Retezat mountains. The city was founded in the 17th century (around 1640). In 1720, an Austrian cartographer mentions that the entire Jiu Valley was intensly populated and settlements could be seen from one end to the other. During the 1818 census, there were 233 inhabitants, while the entire valley counted 2550. During this time, the main activity of the people was shepherding and no urban settlement had appeared yet. Around 1840, coal surface mining began in Petroșani, Vulcan and Petrila. The population grew significantly only in the 20th century during the communist regime, as many workers were brought in from other parts of the country.
- From Bucharest, 343 km: take A-1 to Pitești, then take DN-7 to Căciulata, then DN-7A to Voineasa and Petroșani.
- From Deva, 100 km: take E-68 to Simeria and then E-79 to Hațeg and Petroșani.
- From Timisoara, 230 km: take E-70 (DN 6) to Lugoj and Caransebeș, then take DN-68 to Hațeg. From there, take E-79 (DN 66) to reach Petroșani.
- From Cluj-Napoca, 214 km: take E-81 (DN 1) to Alba Iulia and Sebeș, then E-68 to Simeria. From there, take E-79 (DN 66) to Petroșani.
Transport with maxi-taxi is an effective way to travel in the Jiu Valley. Minibuses carry passengers between the Jiu Valley cities and to and from Deva. Minibuses leave from 10 to 10 minutes or more often.
Local transport between Market Victoria-Airport is made by family associations, individuals, businesses - number of cars: 107.
- Parâng. Parâng is an attraction for Romanian and foreign tourists because of natural resources: mountain landscapes, glacial lakes, forests, a botanical reserve and ski slopes. It is located in the southeast of Hunedoara county, about 100 km from Deva the capital of the county, being part of the Southern Carpathians, Parâng - Șureanu group. Parâng Mountains occupy an area of 1100 square kilometers bordering Sureanu Mountains to the north, north-west Retezat Mountains, east Căpățânii Mountains and to the west are separated by Jiului Gorge from Vâlcan Mountains. The Parâng Mountains peaks of rare beauty are:Big Parâng Peak - 2519 m, the third highest peak in Romania;Carja Peak - 2405 m; Small Parâng Peak - 2074 m. Parang Mountains shelter 22 glacial lakes including: Roșiile Lake; Galcescu Lake; Mija Lake; Green Lake. In the winter besides skiing,one can practice other winter sports such as luge, snowboard, motoscooter rides and paragliding flight.
- Culture House of Unions Ion Dulamă, Str. 1 Decembrie 1918 nr. 100, ☏ .
- Theater I.D. Sarbu (historical monument), Str. Mihai Viteazu nr. 2, ☏ .
- Mining Museum (historical monument dating from 1920), Str. Nicolae Balcescu nr. 2, ☏ . 10:00 - 17:00, closed Monday. Between 1961-1962 opens at Petroșani the Mining Museum as a tribute to the miners work, evoking the history of mining and mining technology development of coal exploitation.
- [formerly dead link] Petroșani City Library, Str. Viitorului bl. 9 A, ap. 23-24, ☏ .
- Wooden Church of the Holy Archangels - sec. XVIII.
- Former officials casino - since 1905.
- Former dispensary Prince Mircea - 1925, now the Student House of Culture.
- Former workers casino - 1925.
- 1 Dacian fortress of Bănița (Cetatea dacică Bănița).
- Go skiing in Parâng or Straja. You can go skiing between November to April,more or less depending on weather conditions.
- Central Park, str. 1 Decembrie 1918 (near Hotel Petroșani (area of 2 ha)).
- European Community Park, str. 1 Decembrie 1918 (near Petroșani State Theater (area of 0.3 ha)).
- Hospital Park, str. 1 Decembrie 1918 (near Emergency Hospital Petroșani (area of 0.5 ha)).
- I.L.Caragiale Park, str. 1 Decembrie 1918 (near Sports School and Petroșani Court (area of 0.3 ha)).
- Anghel Salygni Park, str. 6 Martie.
- Central Market Park (located on Nicolae Bălcescu st., corner with Avram Iancu st., near Central Market (area of 0.8 ha).).
- Mountain bike
- Riding on alpine routes
- Hunting tourism
- Intemational Folklore Festival - is held every year
- Halls of spring and fall of art petrosanene
- Camps of artistic creation (Summer University)
- Exhibition of numismatics
- Exhibition of cartoons
- Exhibition of fine art and glass icons
- Junior National Championships in gymnastics
- Handball competitions
- Skiing competition at the national level (junior and senior)
- Wrestling competitions at national level (junior and senior)
- Jiul Shopping Center, Str.1 decembrie 1918,nr.79.
- Bella Italia, Str. Institutului, nr. 76, ☏ . 08:00-23:00. Italian restaurant.
- Restaurant Mixt Baloliv, Str. 1 Decembrie 1918 nr.82, ☏ .
- Medieval Restaurant, ☏ .
- Keops Club Restaurant, ☏ .
- Bar Selena, Strada 1 Decembrie 1918 nr.98, ☏ .
- Keops Club Restaurant, ☏ .
- Cabana Popasul Haiducilor, ☏ .
- Hotel Rusu, ☏ .
- Hotel Petroșani, Str.1 Decembrie 1918 no. 110, ☏ .
- Hotel Onix, Str.1 Decembrie 1918 no. 73, ☏ .
- Cabana Eclipse, ☏ .
- Pensiunea Floare de Colt, Str. Livezeni nr. 36, ☏ .
- Hope Villa, Str. Rusu nr. 1, ☏ .
- Deva, the capital of Hunedoara County is 89 km away from Petroșani. Here you can see Deva fortress and you can visit the Dacian-Roman Civilization Museum.
- Târgu Jiu, the capital of Gorj County is 51 km away from Petroșani. Here you can see the works of the famous sculptor, Constantin Brâncuși.
- Hațeg is 50 km away from Petroșani.
- Hunedoara is 74 km away. You can visit Hunyad Castle in Hunedoara.